The 2012-2013 snowshoe season got off to a start before there was even snow – on 15 December. By the next week there was almost too much, after the storm of 21 December.
While a welcome start to the season, this snowfall unfortunately caused the season long closure of major snowshoeing trails in Gatineau Park – including the Wolf Trail and shorter closures of other trails.
We were able to offer regular Saturday outings every weekend from mid-December to 23 March, with participation ranging from 3 to over 30 in several cases. As well, there were monthly “full moon” trips - usually in conjunction with skiers if snow conditions allowed – each month from December to March.
There were several special weekend trips as well – Val David and Harris Lodge Farm (again with the skiers) and the Algonquin Eco-Lodge just outside Maynooth. All events had a full complement of participants. It was our first trip to the Eco-lodge since it was taken over by new management and re-named, and there was a strong interest by participants in returning again next season. This area boasts good skiing and dog-sledding as well as snowshoeing.
I would like to thank all those who volunteered to lead a trip, with special thanks to those who organized a weekend trip. Without volunteers none of this would be possible.
I am looking forward to the up-coming season, and am willing to serve another year as coordinator.
OOC Snowshoe Inventory Oct 2013
We have eight pairs of snowshoes. Unfortunately, three are damaged to some extent
- OHOC A1 medium, blue Atlas brand with a soft vinyl bed, missing front toe crampons (both feet), fair condition, these ones are tied together with a cable tie and were not used in the 2013 season
- OHOC A2 like A1 above, but in good condition with crampons
- OHOC A3 like A2 above, but one foot has a broken crampon (broken in the 2013 season)
- OHOC A4 very large, blue Atlas brand with a soft vinyl bed, binding on one foot was broken this year (2013 season). The binding is not currently functional, but could potentially be replaced (?)
- Unlabeled Yura brand, large good condition, with a hard nylon bed
- Unlabeled Black Atlas “825” brand, medium/small in good condition with nylon bed
- OHOC C1 Snow Mountain – large in good condition, soft plastic bed, with a modernish binding
- OHOC C2 -same as C1 above, these two are the best of the lot
These snowshoes are currently in my (MHB) basement, and I am willing to keep them as long as I am snowshoe coordinator.